1.I thought you_____like something to read, so I have brought you some books.[ ]
A. may B. might C. could D. must
2. You________to the meeting this afternoon if you have something important to do.[ ]
A. needn't to come B. don't need come
C. don't need coming D. needn't come
3. He____you more help, even though he was very busy. [ ]
A. might have given B. might give
C. may have given D. may give
4.─____I help you with some shoes, madam?
─ Yes, I would like to try on those brown ones. [ ]
A. Will B. Should C. May D. Must
5. The reason why they____leave wasn't explained to us. [ ]
A. had B. had to C. must D. might
6. I searched for my wallet and it wasn't there. I thought I____it at home. [ ]
A. left B. have left
C. might have left D. could have left
7. I____asleep because it took me a long time to realize that the telephone was ringing. [ ]
A. could have fallen B. should have fallen
C. must have fallen D. mustn't have fallen
8. The only thing that really matters to the children is how soon they ____return to their school. [ ]
A. can B. must C. have to D. ought to
9. I want to go to the chemist's, but you ____go with me. [ ]
A. need not B. must not C. need D. must
10. I thought it over, but____come to no conclusion. [ ]
A. can B. could C. should D. would
11. What we _____get seems better than what we have. [ ]
A. can B. could C. can't D. Couldn’t
12.─My goodness! I've just missed the train.
─That's too bad. I am sure you _____it, if you had hurried. [ ]
A. could have caught B. had caught
C. would catch D. could catch
13. Look! What you've done! You ____more careful.[ ]
A. may be B. had to
C. should have been D. would be
14. _____I repeat the question? [ ]
A. Shall B. Will C. Do you want that D. Do
15. Professor Li, many students want to see you. _______they wait here or outside![ ]
A. Do B. Will C. Shall D. Are
16. You read that book if you don't want to. [ ]
A. haven't B. can't C. mustn't D. needn't
17. Johnny, you play with the knife; you hurt yourself.[ ]
A. won't; can't B. can't; shouldn't
C. shouldn't; must D. mustn't; may
18. It's nearly seven o'clock. Jack be here at any moment. [ ]
A. must B. need C. can D. should
19. ─ There were already 5 people in the car, but they managed to take me as well.
─ It a comfortable journey. [ ]
A. can't be B. shouldn't be
C. couldn't have been D. mustn't have been
20. Tom ought not to me your secret, but he meant no harm.[ ]
A. have told B. tell
C. be telling C. having told
21. Everyone is here. we start the meeting? [ ]
A. Can B. Must C. Should D. Shall
22. I parked my car right here but now it's gone. It . [ ]
A. must be stolen B. may be stolen
C. must have stolen D. must have been stolen
23. He he work yesterday, but he didn't.[ ]
A. must have finished B. need have finished
C. finished D. should have finished
24. He did not pass the examination. As a good student, he________.[ ]
A. mustn't have failed
B. may not have failed
C. needn't have failed
D. shouldn't have failed
25. ________it be true that Albert passed the test in geography? [ ]
A. May B. should C. Could D. would
26. You ________lead a horse to the water but you ________not make it drink.[ ]
A. will; can B. may; can
C. may; dare D. dare; can
27. ─Must we finish the composition in class?
─No, you________. [ ]
A. needn't B. mustn't
C. won't D. shouldn't
28. Her eyes were red. She ________.[ ]
A. must cry B. must be cried
C. must have been crying D. may cry
29. Mary his letter, otherwise she would have replied before now. [ ]
A. has received
B. must receive
C. couldn't have received
D. shouldn't have received
30. I told Sally how to get here, but perhaps I for her. [ ]
A. had to write it out
B. must have written it out
C. should have written it out
D. ought to write it out
─Hello. Gerry speaking.
─Hello, Gerry. It's me John here. Why aren't you here at the meeting?
─Well, I'm terribly sorry, but I'm not feeling very well.
─Is that all? We thought you might________ (have) an accident or________ (forget) the day or something.
─No, I'm sorry. I was sick all night. I think it must________ (be) the fish I ate last night.
─Well, I think you should________at least________ (phone) Kate and________ (tell) her you weren't coming to the meeting.
─Yes, I suppose I should ________ (do) so. I'm sorry about that. Anyway, I think I'll be able to get in to work tomorrow.
─OK, Take care and don't eat any more fish.
─I won't. Thanks for calling.
─That's all right.
Ⅲ. 用would, should, must , have to 填空
1.─ I have not a raincoat with me.
─That's why I________wait until the rain stops.
2. ________you be so kind as to keep an eye on my house while I am away?
3. It is important that I________see him at once.
4. ________the pain return，take one of these pills.
5. They didn't dare to leave the train lest they________be attacked by wolves.
6. He ordered that Tom________leave the house at once.
7. The last bus has left. We________walk home.
8. The weather was bad. We________wait for two hours at the airport before we took off.
9. You________come and see us sometime.
10.The letter________be translated into English.
1.B 2.D 3.A 4. C 5. B 6. C 7. C 8. A 9. A 10. B
11.C 12.A 13.C 14.A 15.C 16.D 17.D 18.D 19.C 20.A
21.D 22.D 23.D 24.D 25. C 26.B 27.A 28.C 29.C 30.C
Ⅱ. have had; forgotten; be; have；honed; told; have done;
Ⅲ. 1. have to 2. Would 3. should 4. Should 5. should 6. should 7. have to/will have to
8. had to 9. must 10. must
1. She must have lost her key.
2. The must have left, but they should have left us a note.
3. You needn't have translated the whole text into Chinese.
4. I could have arrived a little earlier, but I met a friend of mine on the way.
5. You should be more careful next time.